Tuesday, May 4, 2010

World's Healthiest Brownie!

Ok, I can't say for sure that they are. But they are by far the healthiest brownie I've had the pleasure to devour. Yet so moist and fudgy Let me show you a picture, to get your mouth watering.

These are another delightful product of Cara's kitchen. I made them last night and then fed bites to basically everyone who walked by. Everyone thought they were good. Many people did comment that they are not as sweet as standard brownies, and that's just fine in my book. I ruined one guy's world after telling them how wonderfully healthy they are after he had his bite. One of my friends has been experimenting with gluten-free recipes and was happy to learn that this one is, too.

In some ways, I wasn't sure if these should be considered dessert or main course. Yep, you read that right. So, why then? The main ingredient is black beans. Yep, plain ol' beans. With avocado as another key ingredient. No, I didn't lose my mind, it really is that brownie picture. And they really are good. Cara mentioned that they are better if you let them sit overnight, but I could never let them ALL sit. Actually, I was glad because I think I prefer them the first day. This way I know, though, and that is useful.

Below is the amazing recipe. I really like that it only uses one 'bowl' - the food processor (or blender.) She used egg replacer, I used real eggs. Sometime I'd like to try them with flax. She used agave nectar, I used honey. Both work, but maybe this is part of the reason I preferred them on day 1! I upped the servings to 16 (she had 12) just because I am picky and like my brownies to all be nice squares. Feel free to make 12. Or 9. Nine would be nice squares, too...

Black Bean Avocado Brownie
Servings: 16 Time: 15ish to prep, 30 to cook

1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 eggs
1/4 cup honey
1/2 of a ripe avocado (I measured, mine was 6 Tbs)
6 Tablespoons cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 Tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons instant espresso

- Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Line an 8x8" pan with parchment paper.

- Combine black beans, eggs, honey and avocado in food processor. Blend for a few minutes, until completely smooth. Add remaining ingredients and continue blending until fully combined, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Batter will be thick.

- Spread into parchment-lined baking dish. Bake for 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the brownies comes out clean.

- Yay, so easy!

Nutrition info (for 1/16th of recipe): Calories - 150 Fat - 2.0g Carbs - 27.7g Protein - 7.4g

4 comments:

  1. I am so totally making those when people are gone then just leaving them out so they will eat them and like them before they hear the name... I don't think there is enough espresso to need to replace it do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Le - The espresso enhances the flavor. Really dark chocolate and properly-roasted coffee taste somewhat similar. I would add a little extra vanilla, I think, but obviously it won't have the same effect. Let me know how they go without the peoples' knowledge :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they are good, but a tiny bit grainy which is to be expected since it was made from beans and I don't have the best food processor in the world - it was a long time and still wasn't "completely" smooth. And I added some grated 100% chocolate bar to it. My sister got me one in France. =)

    Anyway subject 1 was a 13 month old male and he said oooooh. subject 2 was a teenage male and he said they were awesome. subject 3 was a snot face - I mean female in the 19-25 yr old demographic and she refused to take another bite after the first until I told her what I had done to them. Upon hearing they was from Wil's site she took another tiny bite then was really done. But she admitted she wouldn't have even taken 1 bite if she had heard the name first. She did say they were fudgey. Subject 4 was a male in the 30-45 demographic and he said they were tasty and chocolaty. Subject 5 was a female in the 55 and over demographic and she was also curious to know what they were made of but said it was good.
    So the 3 males didn't notice any difference. 2 of the 3 females (myself included) could tell they were different but it was ok. So 5 out of 6 ain't bad. I am saving one for tomorrow to see how they are the 2nd day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't comment on this recipe, but the version I tested was not good. It put me in mind of carob/fake chocolate brownies (perhaps that's the beans coming through), maybe the espresso is more important than one might think.

    I thought the texture was too moist (but I'm not a fan of fudgey brownies or fudge). Maybe if they were more dry I could have eaten more.

    ReplyDelete

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!