Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Smashed chickpea sandwiches

This is based on a recipe from smitten kitchen, I found it one night when searching for more things to do with chick peas. I made it with what I had on hand, so it is different from hers. You can eat it on bread, in a pita, or as a side salad. It's good because it's filling and a nice change from tuna salad or lunch meat, but it doesn't take too long.

I made it forever ago, and actually remembered to take a picture, but never posted it. I definitely have a lot to learn about food photography from people like SK. Here you go!

Smashed chickpea sandwiches
Serves: 3 Time: I think 20 minutes

1 15oz can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1/4 cup diced cucumber
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
pinch cayenne pepper
garlic salt to taste
1-2 small tomatoes

- Place all ingredients except tomato in a medium bowl and mash a few times with a large spoon or potato masher.
- Eat with tomato on bread (If you are doing it as a side salad, I would dice the tomatoes and add them in after mashing the rest of it.)

Nutrition info for 1/3 recipe (without bread): Calories: 536 Fat: 8.5g Carbs: 90g Protein: 28.5g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!