Thursday, February 11, 2010

Apple Pie Scones

In my building, every body does 4 hours of work a week. This semester, I cook lunch on Thursdays (3 hours) and make a sweet treat on Saturdays (1 hour - in theory.) Today I wasn't sure what to make. At first I thought apple scones, but then REALLY wanted shortbread. Well... no powdered sugar in the place. After looking for a recipe that looked decent using other sugar, I gave up. There's one with browned butter and brown sugar that I fully intend to make, but many reviewers found it somewhat temperamental. Not what you want to try when baking for a large group.

So back to scones it was! I love my yogurt scones recipe and started with that. We have a decent supply of granny smiths, so I took 3 and diced them up to throw in. I made a triple batch, so three made sense. The added moisture from the fresh fruit made the dough even more sticky than usual, so instead of trying to shape them all nicely, I just took an ice cream scoop to plop them all out onto the cookie sheets. Someone came by to help me test them as they were finishing and said "mmm, these taste just like apple pie!" Thus were they named.

Apple Pie Scones
Serves: 8 (makes about 25 little scones) Time: 30 minutes

2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c granulated sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
1 medium green apple, diced (about 1 1/2 cups, depending on the size)
3/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt (or one six oz. container)
1 large egg, separated
1 tsp vanilla

1 - Preheat oven to 425
2 - Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in a large bowl
3 - Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal
4 - Stir in fruit
5 - In a small bowl, combine yogurt, egg white and vanilla
6 - Add yogurt mixture to dry ingredients stirring just until moist (will be VERY sticky)
7- Use two large spoons to drop pieces of dough onto a greased baking sheet, 2 inches apart. Dough balls should be a bit larger than a golf ball.
8 - (Optional) Beat egg yolk and brush over tops of scones to smooth them out (I didn't this time.)
9 - Bake at 425 for 7-10 minutes or until golden (mine took about 8 minutes)

Nutrition per drop scone: Fat - 2.3 g (2.1 without egg yolk); Cal - 76; Protein - 1.8 g; Carbs - 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!