Thursday, March 4, 2010

... and Grapefruit Curd

This is sort of the second half of Tuesday's healthy pancake post. I made them together, but I think that they are each worth their own post. This was amazing. I read recently that you can make curd (like lemon curd) with any citrus, and really wanted to try it. Then I found a butter-free curd recipe. The grapefruit were purchased. A day later, I found a great looking healthy pancake recipe. On top of that, the pancake recipe gave the option to use just whites. Leaving me some yolks for the curd. Too perfect of a coincidence to pass up.

I decided to make just a half batch (ok, I didn't have enough eggs for a whole one) and, to be honest, I'm not sure if this ever sets up the way I know lemon curd does. It didn't make it to the fridge, I stirred it up while the pancakes were cooking and it was all devoured. Well, not all on the pancakes. Some on yogurt. I became a serious fan of grapefruit yogurt in France. It's such a good combination! Why isn't it in the US? (With rhubarb and fig and pineapple yogurt, too!) I realized that this would make great grapefruit yogurt. The sugar gives it enough sweetness, yet the grapefruit and the plain yogurt keep it tart. A winner in my book.

Grapefruit Curd (Can be made with any citrus!)
Serves: 6-8 Time: 15-20 minutes, more if you want to wait for it to cool

1 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
2 tsps finely grated zest of grapefruit
3/4 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks

- Place a mesh strainer over a bowl and set aside. [If you want to strain it, I didn't, but I did have a couple of cooked bits of egg in the end result.]
- In a heavy medium saucepan, stir together the grapefruit juice, zest, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and egg yolks to break them up. Beat some of the grapefruit mixture into the eggs to temper. Scrape the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and just begins to become jelly-like, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the curd from the heat and press the curd through the strainer. Press a piece of plastic wrap onto the surface of the curd (this prevents a "skin" from forming) and let it cool completely before using. [I didn't do this either, obviously :) I just used it directly.]

Nutrition info (1/8th of recipe): Cal - 113 Fat - 2.4g Protein - 2.4g Carbs - 21.4g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!