Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Healthier Box brownies

Years ago I posted a version of a brownie mix recipe that is lower in fat and calories. While that is great, it's not enough for me anymore - I don't just want to have a treat that isn't "bad" for me, I want it to be good for me, too! I add 2g protein per brownie, so it's ok, but not perfect. These are not quite as far in that direction as the amazing chocolate muffins that I will tell you about soon, but they are going the right way.

Being a little ridiculous, like I am, I decided to just adjust the recipe for half of the box, so I had a direct comparison! These are definitely less decadent than the full-fat version, but are still very rich. I did use the Ghiradelli Double Chocolate box, so it was a good starting place. One benefit is that by adding things I got more brownie out of the mix.

More Protein, Less-Fat brownies from a box! (with help)
16 servings, 10 min prep, cooking time varies by brand
Regular recipe on right, healthier version on left.

1 box brownie mix, intended for 8x8 (or 9x9) pan
1 egg
soy milk to replace water called for (1/4 cup in mine - really doesn't add much nutrition, though!)
low-fat or non-fat greek yogurt to replace oil (1/3 cup in mine)
1/2 cup oats (I used old-fashioned)
2 T whey protein (10 grams)


Nutrition info for DRY MIX (1/16th of box): Cal: 140     Fat: 3.5g     Carbs: 26g    Protein: 1g
Nutrition info for my additions (1/16th of total): Cal: 32     Fat: 0.8g    Carbs: 4g      Protein: 2.1g
Total nutrition info, made my way (1/16th of total): Cal - 172    Fat - 4.3g   Carbs - 30g   Protein - 3.1g


No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!