Monday, September 7, 2009

Rich and light french toast

I love Alton Brown's french toast recipe. It has eggs and half and half and vanilla and spices. And probably something else. The half and half makes it more of a special occasion recipe, though, so I wanted something that was thicker than regular egg-and-milk, but not by adding flour because then I just feel like you may as well have a pancake. Enter evaporated milk. I thought of it after using it in my hot chocolate. It soaks into the bread well without being so thin that it makes it fall apart. For extra fun, I used banana bread for part of the recipe (pictured). Of course, that makes it take a rather long time to make, but it was SOOOO good. We got the idea from a cafe near campus that served zucchini bread french toast. Either way, I approve.


French toast
Serves: 4 Cook time: about 20 minutes (depends on your pan and bread size!)

3 eggs
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)

- Heat a skillet on medium while you prepare the rest
- In a flat dish (square baking dish, plastic leftover container), beat the eggs
- Stir in evaporated milk and spices
- Put bread, 1 layer at a time, into egg mixture. Let soak on each side for about 10 seconds, then flip. (Shorter for thin bread, or lighter bread or else it will fall apart)
- Spray the skillet with cooking spray, then put in as many piece of bread as will fit, leaving enough room to flip them
- When bread looks brown around the edges, up to one minute, flip it over
- Keep finished french toast on a plate in the microwave (don't turn it on, but it's insulated in there to keep them warm and won't have a draft) until you are ready to serve, or serve as you finish them.

2 comments:

  1. You left home too soon ;-Þ Jon E and I stumbled on banana bread french toast just over a year ago (the old 'loaf gets put out of sight and you discover it before it is green but after the peak of freshness' deal... so we turned it into french toast and were amazed!) YOUR banana bread recipe blows mine out of the water, we LOVE it!
    French toast banana bread holds up way better in the freezer too. It reheats great and the flavor stays... at least for months... according to our experience (the freezer has a black hole JE found some in and had me take a bite after he heated it so I could know for myself how good it still was!) Kids are SO fun ;-} xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like doing this with old cinnamon rolls too. The evaporated milk sounds really yummy I'll have to try it next time.

    ReplyDelete

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!