Thursday, April 1, 2010

White Chicken Chili

I finally remembered to take a picture when making this! Originally I didn't give much info on this because I was really busy with school - but not so busy that I couldn't post it!

Here are my comments the first time: The short version: one of the girls I cook with had this over spring break and then got the recipe. It's super good. I didn't know what to expect, but I was loving it. In the past I couldn't get white beans (the place we ordered our food from didn't have them) so we used regular kidney beans. Still good!

Since moving into my own place I have made it several times. I love how each time it can be a little different, and the freshness the toppings add. The last several times I've made it with just half a pound of chicken and that has been plenty for us. If you use a non-stick pan, you can also decrease the oil if you don't want the onion and garlic browned or cut it out completely.

You can let it simmer for as long as you like, but the time listed should be fine, that's all ours simmered for the 100ish servings we made. I think the toppings really are nice, too, because then it can be personalized.



White Chicken Chili
Serves: 6 Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes

1 Tbs olive oil
1 medium onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups chicken broth
2 Tbs fresh chopped cilantro
2 Tbs lime juice
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/4 tsp red pepper sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups frozen corn (or one can)
1 (15 oz) can great northern beans, drained (1 1/2 cups)
1 (15 oz) can white kidney beans, drained (1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
2 Tbs olive oil
Toppings: tortilla chips, green onions, diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese and sliced avocado

Two-pan method:
1. Cut chicken into cubes. Mince garlic. Chop onion.
2. At the same time as #2, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic in oil, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender.
3. **At the same time**, cook chicken with oil.
4. Add all ingredients into large pot (where the garlic & onion were cooked - you can add the stock if the garlic & oil finish before the chicken.) Heat to boiling, then reduce to medium-low. Simmer uncovered until heated through.

One-pan method:
1. Cut chicken into cubes. Mince garlic. Chop onion.
2. Heat a large pot over medium high. Toss in oil, onions and garlic, stirring for just a moment, and then add chicken.
3. Add all ingredients into large pot (where the garlic & onion were cooked - you can add the stock if the garlic & oil finish before the chicken.) Heat to boiling, then reduce to medium-low. Simmer uncovered until heated through.

Nutrition info (1/6th of recipe, no toppings): Cal - 429   Fat - 9=12.6g   Carbs - 30.9g    Protein - 48.5g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!