Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spaghetti Carbonara

Well, I have made this twice now, and still no picture. I think that it does not want to be photographed. The first time I just forgot. The second time, I almost forgot. Then I ran upstairs for the camera, brought it down, switched to macro, clicked the button and.... the battery died. Fine. Good news is that it worked well twice. I did a bit of searching, and found one that looks a good bit like mine to post for you, but it's originally from here. It should because he used the same recipe! I didn't find mine from him, though the only real difference is that I didn't sprinkle mind with pepper at the end. Oh, and I always use whole grain pasta because I prefer the taste.

I actually made this last Saturday, before I ran my first 10K. I seriously under did my training, so I will give this pasta, as well as the tasty bread and salad I had, credit for being able to run the full 6.2 miles; I didn't stop to walk once! (Well, the water areas don't count, I wanted to get the water IN me, not just ON me.)

I wouldn't have thought of this as easy or fast, but it totally is. It will take about 3 minutes longer than it takes to cook pasta. It does take some attention to the timing, but that's it. Think you can handle that? I hope so! The recipe calls for bacon, but the first time I just used olive oil because there was no bacon to be had. You will want to use real parmesan. The first time I made it was with dried fake stuff and it was way salty. Not recommended.


Spaghetti Carbonara
Serves: 2-3 Cook time: 20 minutes, if your water is slow to boil

1/3 lb spaghetti
1 1/2 tsp olive oil (or 2-3 strips bacon)
1 clove garlic
2 eggs
1/3-1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated

- Put pot of water on to boil as you get out your ingredients. If your frying pan is slow to heat, start heating it up, too. You could also mince the garlic now if you want to, or just crush it with the flat side of your knife.
- When water is boiling, add pasta. Beat eggs in a small bowl with parmesan.
- Wait about 5 minutes for the next step. Go set the table. Pour yourself some water. Make a salad. Something like that.
- In hot frying pan, add oil (or bacon - if using bacon, cook til crisp, then remove from pan) and garlic. If it is minced, leave the garlic in the pan, if not, remove from pan.
- AS SOON AS pasta is barely al dente, drain, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking water (I just set a mug in the sink for that) and put into frying pan, tossing to coat with oil/bacon grease and garlic goodness
- When coated, REMOVE FROM HEAT and pour egg mixture onto noodles (still in the pan!) Your pan is hot, your noodles are hot, so the egg will cook just fine and the parmesan will melt just fine. Add some of the pasta water if you want a thinner sauce.
- Serve, you're done!

Nutrition info (for 1/3 of recipe, made with oil): Calories: 280 Fat - 11.1g Carbs - 29g Protein - 16g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!