Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Oven-steamed veggies

Life is over-running me this week, which means that this post is (gulp!) untested by me! I think that it looks really good, though, and should work just fine.

Clearly for most people this will be an idea when you already have something going in the oven. No reason to turn the oven on *just* for vegetables. But if there's already chicken, a casserole, or something else in there, why not?

I actually got the idea here when I was looking for a better way to steam veggies. You see, in my building we do not have a giant steamer. Instead, we boil veggies. This almost always leads to mush on the bottom and half-cooked on the top. Not ideal at all. Instead, we can flip on the oven, stick 3-4 baking sheets in, and let it do its thing.

Small-scale steamed veggies
Serves: as many as you like! Time: 20 minutes

- Cut vegetables into large bites and put on large piece of aluminum foil. Sprinkle with salt or spices if you want, fold the foil over, and seal the edges.
- Bake at whatever temperature you already need for about 10 minutes. 10-15 should do it at 375º, but I would check them at 8 minutes for any temperature. You'll lose steam and heat this way, but I think better safe than soggy.

Large-scale steamed veggies
Serves: as many as you like! Time: 30 minutes (because cutting more takes more time)

- Cut vegetables into large bites and put on baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt or spices if you want, cover with foil and seal the edges.
- Bake at whatever temperature you already need for about 10 minutes if the over is already on.
- If this is the only thing you're baking, bake at 375º for 10-15 minutes. Check one tray at 8 minutes. You'll lose steam and heat this way, but I think better safe than soggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!