Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Baked Kale Chips

Ok, not a lot other than the recipe tonight. 7 Class days left! 17 days til my last final (25 pg paper) due! But, I cannot forget my public. Especially when my little sister (who tasted these over Easter) asked where the recipe is. Here you go.

It's from everyone and no-one, basically every food blogger has done them. They're pretty good, but the flavor is concentrated. If you don't like cooked dark leafy greens, you may not like this. One suggestion: Use less salt than you think. Mine came out too salty. Kale is supposed to be all kinds of healthy, and I tried it in something else that I really enjoyed. This was good, I just don't think I could eat more than a handful or two before feeling like I had the flavor stuck in my mouth. Does that make sense? Probably not. Sorry. Moving on, then....

The drying is important here, since you want them crispy in the end. And you can salt before or after cooking. I think it sticks better if before b/c of the olive oil. But maybe that's why mine were a bit too salty for my taste.

Oh, and why make them in the first place?? It's good for you. I'll let her explain.


Baked Kale Chips
Serves: 6-8 Prep time: 10-15 minutes Bake time: 15-20 minutes

Ingredients:

One bunch of kale, green or purple washed and dried well
1 T Olive oil
Salt

- Preheat oven to 375ºF
- Fold each kale leaf in half along the stem and use a knife to trim the stem off.
- Tear into pieces a little bigger than what you'd want to find in your hand (they'll shrink in the oven) maybe 3-4 inches.
- Put into a bowl, toss with olive oil to coat. I had a really big looking bunch, but 1 T was actually just fine.
- Spread on a baking sheet (Whole Foods says it's ok to be more than one layer, my sheet was big enough that I can't say for sure) and bake at 375ºF for 15 min.
- Test the pieces for doneness at 10 minutes by waving one in the air a bit until it's room temperature and biting. It should crisp. If it's chewy at all, put them back in the oven. You can stir if you want to, but I didn't and it was fine.

Nutrition info (I'm using info for 1/2 cup boiled with 1/8 Tbs oil, I can't find facts for baked kale): Calories: 32 Fat: 1.8g Carbs: 3.4g Protein: 1.1g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!