Friday, September 1, 2017

Magic Bars!

I made bars again, and the texture was better! I also tried a store-bought RX Bar, and I wasn't that impressed. They really are super sticky in a weird way. And kind of hard. Dates are soft, how did they do that? 

I didn't check the nutrition info on this because it's Whole30! No counting calories! But it's got 48 grams of protein in the full recipe from the egg white alone, and then there's the nuts, too. Guess I need to figure out how to up the egg whites to match RXBar's statement of 3 egg whites per bar. But maybe that's why theirs are so hard. The final recipe for me was the weight of 9 RX Bars, so it should last a while. 

Magic Bars

2/3 c almonds
2/3 c cashews
1 c packed deglet noor dates (24)
3/4 c egg white powder
3 Tbs of water, separated
1/4 c freeze dried raspberries

  • Place almonds into the bowl of a food processor. Blend a bit until roughly chopped. Remove half of the almonds and place in a bowl for extra texture. 
  • Add cashews to the half almonds in the processor bowl. Blend until most bits are fairly small, bigger than sand, but smaller than gravel. Pour smaller nuts into the same bowl.
  • Ass dried raspberries to chopped nuts.
  • Put the dates in the processor bowl and process until the size of peas. Add egg white powder. Pulse a few times. Slowly drizzle in 2 Tbs of water (I use the hole in the top of my processor) until it starts to clump together. 
  • Add the date and egg white mixture to the nut bowl and mix. I found that kind of chopping at it with a hard spatula helped mix in the nuts. I ended up mixing with my hand inside a plastic baggie to get it all mixed it. Add 1 Tbs of water if it isn't hanging together (mine wasn't until I added that last bit.)

Bigger chunks of almonds for texture
Smaller bits of nuts to blend in better
Dates and egg white powder when blended and ready to add to nuts
Magic Bars, wrapped and waiting for me to eat tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!