Friday, February 6, 2009

Apple crisp

I love apple crisp - but not all the butter in the topping. Again, this one took me a little bit longer to make, but I think it's worth it. The prep and cook time are my actual in-the-kitchen-searching-my-cabinets times, so if you are more organized or a faster chopper, you may have better luck! I used the trick of replacing some butter with an egg white - like the graham cracker crust did - and this keeps the crust crispy while making it healthier.

Apple crisp
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes Serves 4-6

3 medium apples, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
1/2 cup regular oats
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg white

Preheat oven to 375.
Toss sliced apples to coat in spices and corn starch.
In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour and brown sugar. In a small bowl, melt butter in the microwave and then stir in egg white (be really careful here that your butter isn't too hot or your egg white will just cook.) Add butter mixture to oat mixture. Mix - will form small clumps.
Pour apples into a pan (8x8 or 9x9) and top with oat mixture. Cook for 25 minutes, or until you think the apples are tender enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!