Saturday, February 14, 2009

Oatmeal Apricot Cookies

I made it! 14 days of desserts! Now that I have it out of my system, I will go back to regular food tomorrow. I was reluctant to post these cookies because they're not much healthier than a regular recipe, but Dan has called them the best I've made in a long time, so here they are! This one is from Cooking Light again (yes, I love their stuff) and you can find the original here, but I am copying and pasting it as well. I didn't much like the idea of toffee in my cookies, because I know it always melts and spreads. Instead, I used a cup of chopped, dried apricots. I got them cheap at a warehouse store. Whatever you use, be sure to really let the butter and sugar mix for a long time - this will keep the cookies from spreading too much and being super flat.

Oatmeal Apricot Cookies
Prep time: about 15 min. Makes: 2 dozen (serving size: 1 cookie)

Ingredients

3.4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/3 cup almond toffee bits (or 1 cup apricots)
Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Add flour mixture; beat just until combined. Stir in toffee bits (*or apricot).

3. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart on 2 baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

Nutrition info for one cookie: Cal: 90 Fat: 3.4 g (less if using dried fruit) Carbs: 14.6g Protein: 1.2g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!