Saturday, February 7, 2009

Low-fat ambrosia

I have been making a 5-cup salad recipe since I was old enough to "help" cook. It is often sold in grocery store delis as "ambrosia." The full cup of sour cream wasn't my friend, but low-fat or non-fat sour cream just taste weird to me. I finally tried vanilla yogurt, and it was great. The only caveat is that it should be eaten in 2-3 days, unlike the 4-5 days I remember from the sour cream. There are two sources of fat in this: the yogurt and the coconut. Switch to non-fat yogurt and replace the coconut with a cup of another fruit, and you can have it fat-free. Last time I made it, I added small chunks of apple, and that worked well too.

5 cup salad
Prep time: 10 min. Servings: 6-8

1 cup shredded coconut
1 (approx. 14 oz) can madarin oranges, drained
1 (approx. 14 oz) can pineapple chunks, drained
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 cup (or one 6 oz container) vanilla yogurt

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Serve immediately, or chill and serve.

Nutrition info per 1/8 of recipe: Cal: 100 Fat: 4g Carbs: 15g Protein: 2.2g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!