Thursday, February 5, 2009

Fudge

I tried numerous times to make fudge from scratch. I either stirred too long or poured too slowly or cooked it not long enough. Finally I gave up and tried the easy way with sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips, it tastes great, it's easy and I get it right every time.

3 cups (18 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk-chocolate chips)
1 (14-ounce) can Fat Free Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
Dash salt
1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk and salt. Remove from heat; stir in nuts (optional) and vanilla. Spread evenly into wax paper lined 8- or 9-inch square pan. Chill 2 hours or until firm. Turn fudge onto cutting board, peel off paper and cut into squares. Store leftovers covered in refrigerator.

**Beki's note: I made this recipe for a party in France (using chocolate bars because chips are hard to find) and everybody loved it. I could not convince the other Americans there that it was easy - they just kept telling me that they knew good fudge is hard and quit trying to be modest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!