Sunday, February 1, 2009

Chai no-bake cookies

I've been making a typical no-bake cookie recipe since sometime in elementary school. I made it so often that I memorized the recipe. After the recipe card got lost, my family would just ask me for it. Not sure why they didn't just write it down again. However, with a *whole* lot of butter, it didn't seem so great anymore.

A couple of years ago, I set out to find a better version and am pleased to say that I did! The overall fat content actually isn't that much lower - the difference is now it is a healthier kind from the peanut butter. I wanted to make them more unique because no-bake cookies are so expected. I think that the chai spices set off the chocolate and peanut butter perfectly. The peanut butter dulls the flavor a lot, so that is why the amounts are so high.

Chai no-bake cookies
Makes 12 cookies Prep time: 10 min

3 tablespoons milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup oatmeal

Heat milk, sugar, and cocoa powder over medium heat. Stir occasionally and let it come to a low boil. Let boil for one minute (Important! If it doesn't boil, these will stay soft and not set.) Add peanut butter and spices, mix in completely. Remove from heat, add vanilla, mix. Add oatmeal. Shape into balls and place on wax paper to cool or eat right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!