Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Better Graham Cracker Crust

Another thing that I like, but want a better version. Of course, if the filling is healthy enough then you can just buy one. There is another recipe, here, that I'd like to try, but I haven't yet so I can't vouch for it. The one I *have* tried is from Cooking Light and is copied straight from here. I love that it uses just 1 tablespoon of butter, when a regular recipe calls for 4-6 and means at least 33-55 grams of fat LESS that you usually get. Even divided 6 or 8 ways, that's a whole lot. I think that means you're ok to fill it with pudding, frozen yogurt or low-fat ice cream. (mmm, I love the Dreyer's double-churn half-fat stuff) Topped with fruit, of course!

Better Graham Cracker Crust

2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon chilled stick butter/margarine
1 egg white
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 325°.
Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl; beat at medium speed of a mixer until blended. Add crumbs and cinnamon; toss with a fork until moistened.
Press crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned; let cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!