Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Cocoa Chewies

I have a friend who is crazy about these. This recipe is my version of the Whole Foods Cocoa Chewies. They are kind enough to list their ingredients, so I know it contains the same things even if my portions may be off. I made them with toasted pecans, since that's what our store has, but from reading others' posts about them, I gather that they are made with chocolate chips in other areas. I think that other nuts or dried fruit would work, too. I consulted several recipes, and tried two, but below has enough additions and adjustments that I think I'm safe calling it my own. Do be careful about the egg whites, but don't stress if they're not perfect.

Cocoa Chewies

Prep time: 10-15 min. Cook time: 15 min Makes: 9 big cookies or 18 smaller ones
[small batch ingredient amounts in brackets]

3 egg whites [1]
1/2 cup cocoa [3 tablespoons]
2 1/4 cup powdered sugar [3/4 cup]
3/4 cup pecans [1/4 c] (optional - could leave out, or add chocolate chips, craisins, walnuts etc.)

- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine cocoa and powdered sugar in a small bowl. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on medium until foamy - about one minute. Continue with mixer and slowly add in sugar mixture, about 1/5 at a time, adding when the previous amount has been incorporated.
- Mix until the egg makes soft peaks (when you pick up the mixer, you'll be able to see where the beaters were. If you mix it to stiff peaks, it's ok, they will be more meringue-like. If you mix it too short, they will still taste great, but will be more difficult to remove from the pan.) Gently fold in pecans or other add-in.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto a baking sheet that has been greased, lined with parchment paper, or a silicone mat. Bake for 15 minutes. Cookies will be shiny and a bit cracked, though still soft.

Nutrition info (1/9 of recipe without pecans): Cal: 133 Fat: 0.7 g Carbs: 33 g Protein: 2 g
Nutrition info (1/9 of recipe with pecans): Cal: 139 Fat: 7.2 g Carbs: 33 g Protein: 3 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try this and want to share how it went? Have questions before you try it? Let me know!