My best friend (also a grad student) pointed out that I don't have any Rice-A-Roni or Pasta Roni recipes on here. Honestly, I feel like Rice-A-Roni takes too much effort with the pre-cook and then add water, plus the flavors aren't as tasty to me. I do try to avoid foods with pre-mixed seasonings because they're so high in sodium, but I admit that I *love* Chicken Quesadilla Pasta Roni. Not plain, but with tasty stuff added. If you want to make this quicker, cheaper, easier, or just vegetarian, use 1 can of drained, rinsed black beans.
Fancied-up Chicken Quesadilla Pasta Roni
1 box Chicken Quesadilla Pasta Roni
1 1/4 c water
1 T margarine/butter
1/4 cup milk
1 cup corn (frozen or from a can)
1 chicken breast, trimmed and cut into small pieces
1/2 bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- If using chicken, brown in a small frying pan. Add salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin if you want.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water, milk and margarine to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Slowly stir in pasta and Speical Seasonings. Separate pasta with a fork, if needed. Boil uncovered.
- After about 5 minutes, add in chicken (or beans), corn and bell pepper.
- Boil a total of 7-9 minutes, or until pasta is tender, stirring frequently.
- Sauce will be thin. Do not overcook. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes for sauce to thicken.